- 4 cups dry pinto beans
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon, cut into pieces
- 2 whole green bell peppers, diced
- 1 whole yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, optional
- 2 teaspoons salt, more to taste
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, more to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
1. Rinse the beans under cold water, sorting out any rocks/particles. Set aside.
2. In a heavy pot (cast iron), saute the bacon pieces until halfway cooked once the fat is rendered. Add the green peppers and onions to the pot and cook until they begin to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the beans and cover with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil and then add the brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, chili powder, salt, pepper, and garlic. Reduce the heat to a simmer, place on the lid and cook until the beans are tender and the liquid is thick 3 to 4 hours.
These Cowboy Baked Beans are the perfect side dish for your dinner in. They're easy to make and leave lots of leftovers to keep you coming back for more. With bacon, bell peppers and onions, this side is a great side to accompany your main dish.