- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 ¼ cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded and divided
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup sour cream plus extra for garnish
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- Fry bacon in a large pot until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside leaving the drippings in the pot.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add diced onion to drippings. Cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and flour, cook for 1 minute while stirring. Whisk in chicken broth, bring to a boil over medium-high heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in mashed potatoes. Simmer an additional 5 minutes. Add the buttermilk and stir to combine allowing mixture to just come to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup cheese, half of the bacon, and ⅓ cup sour cream.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, remaining bacon, green onion and serve hot.
Recipe credit to Spend With Pennies.